LTAP Resource Biweekly
Iowa LTAP is a resource that is ready to help, providing biweekly updates on webinars and other online opportunities and resources that we hope will be of value to local agencies wherever they may be. All webinars are listed in Central Time.
As always, if you have any subjects you’d like to see, please let us know and we’ll help you out. We are also available to answer technical questions and find technical resources for you (please call or email us).
LTAP Resource Biweekly #33 (9/15/21)
Iowa LTAP Webinars
- Purpose and Types of Pavement Markings. Thursday, 9/23 at 12:00 PM. Purpose and Types of Pavement Markings is an interactive virtual training that includes the foundation, or basic content, that needs to be understood about pavement markings, including the basics of pavement markings, such as the types used, allowable colors, and the standards for when and where to apply pavement markings. The training will also discuss sight distances and their importance to the application of pavement marking on roadways. For more information and to register, please go here.
- Pavement Marking Material Selection and Application Preparation. Thursday, 10/7 at 12:00 PM. This one-hour course will introduce participants to six of the main pavement marking types where each will be described as well as discussion on common applications and how one might determine the appropriate material to use for their applications. Participants will also discuss preparing to install the markings including methods to remove old markings, pre-application inspection checklists, and preparing temporary traffic control. The training will conclude with a discussion on the importance of a pavement marking management system. For more information and to register, please go here.
- Crack Sealing Best Practices. Friday, 10/8 at 8:00 AM. This webinar will cover the basics of a productive pavement crack sealing program, including safety, crack treatments, and best practices. Operations and supervisory staff are invited to join this beneficial and informative workshop. For more information and to register, please go here.
- In-Service Sign Retro-Reflectivity Performance in Iowa. Friday, 10/22 at 12:00 PM. This webinar will discuss the results of research that evaluated sign retro-reflectivity data from in-service signs in Iowa to determine expected sign life. Models were developed to evaluate the age of a sign versus its respective retro-reflectivity value and broken down by sheeting type, sign category (regulatory and warning), and directional orientation. The results of the analysis indicated that all sheeting materials, sign types, and sign directions were predicted to have lives of at least 10 years before falling below MUTCD minimums. For more information and to register, please go here.
- Underground Utilities Construction Inspectors School (via APWA-Minnesota). October 2021 to May 2022 (monthly). This course provides practical information to enable people with underground utility inspection responsibilities to expertly and confidently do their jobs. Iowa LTAP will be offering an on-site location in Ames at the Institute for Transportation, and remote attendees may participate via a virtual option. For more information and to register, please go to this link.
Iowa LTAP On-Site Workshops
- Multidisciplinary Roadway Safety Series (formerly the Local Road Safety Workshops). Wednesdays & Thursdays, 10/6 & 10/7 (Waverly & Ames); 10/20 & 10/21 (Storm Lake & Atlantic); and 10/27 & 10/28 (Marion & Ottumwa) at 8:30 AM. The Iowa fall safety series, held for many years, is back in 2021! This annual series will be held at various locations in Iowa during the month of October. Learn about the latest work and programs aimed at reducing fatal crashes on Iowa roadways from various safety partners in the state, including the Iowa DOT Traffic and Safety, Local Systems, and Systems Planning bureaus; Federal Highway Administration; Governor’s Traffic Safety Bureau; and the Iowa LTAP. For more information and to register, please go here.
- One-D Modeling of River Encroachments with HEC-RAS (NHI Course 135041). Tuesday–Thursday, 10/12–10/14 at 8:00 AM. This course is currently limited to Iowa local agency and DOT employees or similar. The course focuses on the use and application of HEC-RAS software, developed by the Hydrologic Engineering Center of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Modeling principles and techniques will be presented using the latest version of HEC-RAS. For more information, attendance requirements, and registration, please go to this link.
- Iowa Winter Maintenance Workshop. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays, 11/2, 11/3, & 11/4 (Storm Lake, Hampton, & West Union); and 11/16, 11/17, & 11/18 (Atlantic, Knoxville, & Washington) at 8:30 AM. This workshop will cover many of the topics needed for operations staff to be prepared for the upcoming winter season. Some of the topics include pre-season preparation, snow removal on county roads and city streets, the use of deicers, calibration, pre-trip inspection, and the importance of a healthy diet and physical activity for snowfighters during the long winter months. For more information and to register, please go here.
On-Site Iowa and Regional Conferences
- The Iowa Streets and Roads Workshop and Conference will be held Tuesday–Thursday, 9/21–9/23 at the Quality Inn in Ames, Iowa. The workshop will be 9/21 and focus on Leadership Skills. Following the workshop will be a group tour of the Ziegler Cat Center in Altoona. The conference will be 9/22 & 9/23 and include a variety of presentations along with roundtable discussions and a long list of exhibitors. The workshop, conference, and tour are at capacity. More information is available here.
- The MINK 2021 – Local Roads Meeting will be held Wednesday & Thursday, 9/22 & 9/23 at the Stoney Creek Inn in St. Joseph, MO. Iowa LTAP works with various partners to offer this event. MINK is an annual meeting that brings together officials from local road agencies, state DOTs, and FHWA divisions in Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. The agenda covers timely and practical topics on maintenance, administration, innovative ideas, safety, and funding. Attendees from any state are welcome. For more information and to register, please go here.
LTAP Partner On-Site Conferences, Events, and Workshops
- The APWA Chapter Fall Conference will be held Wednesday–Friday, 9/29–10/1 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Council Bluffs, IA. The agenda includes many interesting topics, and there will be exhibitors. For many more details and to register, please go here.
- The 2021 Iowa State Roadeo (from APWA Iowa Chapter) will be held Thursday,10/7 at 7:00 AM. The APWA Iowa Chapter is sponsoring a limited version of the state-wide Roadeo competition this year to be held at the City of West Des Moines Public Services West Facility. This year’s event will be a one-day competition for the Snowplow Truck Course only, which will include defect testing for the snowplow truck. For more information and to register, please go here.
- The Concrete Pavement Continuing Education Series (from CP Tech Center) will be held Friday, 10/8–Friday, 11/19 at various locations. The presentations will focus on the basics of concrete pavement design, including methodology and design parameters. Discussions will include thickness design methods including Iowa’s SUDAS pavement design procedure, PavementDesigner.org, and Pavement ME, as well as other important considerations for the structural design and long-term durability of concrete pavement systems. For more details and to register please go to this link.