Housekeeping, Walking and Working Surfaces
Walking – Working Surfaces (Slips, Trips and Falls)(1910.22 General Requirements) and Housekeeping
Surface conditions. The employer must ensure:
- All places of employment, passageways, storerooms, service rooms, and walking-working surfaces are kept in a clean, orderly, and sanitary condition.
- The floor of each workroom is maintained in a clean and, to the extent feasible, in a dry condition. When wet processes are used, drainage must be maintained and, to the extent feasible, dry standing places, such as false floors, platforms, and mats must be provided.
- Walking-working surfaces are maintained free of hazards such as sharp or protruding objects, loose boards, corrosion, leaks, spills, snow, and ice.
Inspection, maintenance, and repair. The employer must ensure:
- Walking-working surfaces are inspected, regularly and as necessary, and maintained in a safe condition;
- Hazardous conditions on walking-working surfaces are corrected or repaired before an employee uses the walking-working surface again. If the correction or repair cannot be made immediately, the hazard must be guarded to prevent employees from using the walking-working surface until the hazard is corrected or repaired;
- When any correction or repair involves the structural integrity of the walking-working surface, a qualified person performs or supervises the correction or repair.