Roads Scholar Program
The Roads Scholar program has been formally recognizing Iowa’s transportation workers and their commitment to continuing education since 2002.
Workers receive credit hours for attending workshops and conferences, and supervisors can schedule ongoing staff training and better manage their training budgets. Roads Scholar participants can see at a glance what workshops they have attended by reviewing their training records.
The number of credit hours required to attain each Roads Scholar level are as follows:
- Roads Scholar 40 credit hours
- Senior Roads Scholar 80 credit hours, with the four core courses
- Master Roads Scholar 120 credit hours, with the four core courses and Public Employees Leadership Institute courses noted with MRS
- Elite Roads Scholar 175 credit hours, with the four core courses and completion of all the Public Employees Leadership Institute courses
Almost all workshops sponsored by the Iowa Local Technical Assistance Program offer credits that can be applied toward the Roads Scholar Program. A list of regularly offered LTAP workshops is available on the LTAP workshops page. The number of applicable credit hours for each course will be indicated when a workshop is advertised.
Certain regularly offered workshops or events can only be applied once toward your Roads Scholar record, but others may be counted more than once after a sufficient time interval (e.g., once every four or five years).
Core Courses The following courses are required for Senior, Master, and Elite Roads Scholar status.
- Math Skills Training or Math Fundamentals (scheduled workshop, or to-be-developed online testing option with passing grade)
- Flagger and Work Zone Safety Training, Work Zone Safety Workshop, or Iowa Work Zone Safety Workshops (scheduled workshop, on-call/on-site, or copy of completion card from Iowa Work Zone Safety Workshops)
- Iowa Streets and Roads Workshop and Conference
- Supervisory Techniques and Skills (scheduled workshop or the online Public Employees Leadership Institute course)
Public Employees Leadership Institute Courses The following courses are available on the Leadership Institute website. Courses required for Master Roads Scholar status are indicated with MRS.
- Supervisory Techniques and Skills
- Team Development (MRS)
- Effective Communication Skills (MRS)
- Leadership Skills
- Community Service/Customer Orientation Skills
- Legal Understanding
- Fundamentals of Government (MRS)
- Resource Management
- Public Works Operations and Maintenance
- Basic Management (MRS)
- Emergency Management
- Project Management
- Winter Maintenance Management
- Sustainability in Public Works
Case-by-case guidance is available for individuals registered for the new program to ensure proper transfer of credit hours from the legacy Roads Scholar program to the new.
Review the requirements for the legacy Roads Scholar program, active before September 1, 2014.