Institute for Transportation – Room 4040
2711 South Loop Drive
Ames, Iowa 50010-8664
February 19, 2020
Check-in Begins at 8:30 am
Training Begins at 9:00 am
Registration Fee per person : $65.00
This revised half day (4+ hour) course is intended to provide local agency staff with no or limited AutoCAD® Civil 3D 2018-20 (C3D) experience with the background to perform daily drafting and analysis tasks common to the profession. The class will teach the basic concepts together with applications in day-to-day tasks common to county engineering in as concrete a way as possible. To this end the class will be focused on contextualizing the software knowledge inside of example workflows.
Training laptops will be provided for participants to concurrently use alongside the instructor (or participants may bring their own (if AutoCAD 2019 or 2018 is installed)). Depending on the number of attendees, training laptops will be assigned to pairs of participants.
Who Should Attend?
Staff and personnel with limited or no AutoCAD® experience.
8:30 a.m. Check-in
9:00 a.m. Session 1: Setting up DWG files, importing survey and geospatial data
- Navigating the Graphic User Interface
- Model space vs. paper space
- Setting Geographic Coordinate System
- Importing and labeling survey point data
- Importing external references and data shortcuts
- Working with surface styles
- Creating and modifying feature lines
- Analyze earthwork cut/fill
- Practice: calculate cut/fill for proposed local improvements
11:15 a.m. Lunch (provided) / Break
12:00 p.m. Session 2: 3D modeling part II, corridors and assemblies
- Introduction to Alignments
- Introduction to Profiles
- Brief overview of assemblies and corridors
- Understanding plotting
- Batch Plotting to PDF
- Practice: Creating plan and profile set
2:00 p.m. Questions and Answers / Adjourn
For More Information
If you have questions or need more information, please contact David Veneziano at 515-294-5480 or firstname.lastname@example.org.